In office from: 1907 - 1909
Having first become a member of the General Committee in 1878, James Dixon was unanimously elected as Chairman on the retirement of Sir John Glover in 1907. Dixon owned the site in Fenchurch Street on which the new Lloyd's Register office was built in 1901. The location had been occupied by West India Dock Co. warehouses and he offered Lloyd's Register a plot measuring 7,700 square feet, which was purchased in February 1898 with the provision that the vendor would lay out a street on its eastern flank: this became the present day Lloyd's Avenue.
Dixon had previously been connected with the firm of Harris and Dixon shipowners and shipbrokers, as well as having interests in collieries and docks. He was one of the early presidents of the British Chamber of Shipping, President of the Institute of Marine Engineers (now IMarEST) and a joint managing director of the British Steamship Investment Trust. Educated at Eton he travelled widely especially in America and the Far East.
He was also a patron of the Lloyd's Register Cricket Club. It was reported in The Times that 'he much impressed those with whom he came into contact by the force of a very virile personality'. Dixon died in June 1909 after a long and trying illness.
Fenchurch Street site
Lloyd's Register Cricket Club